Someone once asked Hadhrat Ibraheem bin Adham (Allaah have mercy upon him) for advice. The saint said, "You will have no danger to fear if you practice only six things:"
1. Do not eat the sustenance Allaah gives you when you sin because it is extremely ungrateful for a person who disobeyed Allaah and then still eat what He gives you.
2. Do not live in Allaah's land when you disobey Him because living in His land is then a shameless thing to do.
3. Go where Allaah cannot see you when you sin because a person cannot sin knowing that Allaah is watching.
4. Send the angel of death away when he comes for your soul. If you cannot do this, then how can you have the courage to sin?
5. Send the two angels Munkar and Nakeer away when they come to question you in the grave. If you cannot do this, then prepare well for their questions.
6. Run away from Jahannam (Hell) on the Day of Qiyaamah (Judgement). If you cannot do this, then stop sinning here in the world.